The holiday season is everyone’s excuse for packing on some extra pounds and indulging in that last bit of crumb cake. I would be lying to you if I were to say that I don’t use this excuse from time to time. However I found this healthy, yet sweet tasting dish to help keep me from adding on those unnecessary (but delicious) calories.
A Spiced Hot Fruit Bake is a perfect delight for a holiday breakfast with the fam or dessert topping for an already stuffed stomach after Thanksgiving dinner. So simple to make, this vegan and gluten free treat will be hard to not go back for seconds… or maybe even thirds…. Who are we kidding! Just eat the whole dang dish.
- 2 cups sliced apples
- 2 cups green pear slices
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or dried)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (save the juice)
- lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp agave honey (I chose honey)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. In a large bowl, toss your fruit and add in 1-2 tsp lemon juice. Set aside.
3. In another glass bowl, combine your melted butter, sugar, spices, and coconut oil.
4. Add in honey and a little bit of your leftover pineapple juice as well.
5. Add this sugar/butter mixture to your fruit and coat evenly.
6. Pour fruit evenly in a 9×12 baking dish.
7. Pour the leftover sugar/butter/oil mixture on top.
8. baking for 1 hr.
9. Add your nuts last.
10. Mix fruit again and serve.
11. You can also add your nuts in the last 30 minutes of the baking time if you prefer them hot and baked as well